Tangle of Need, A Review

A Review of Tangle of Need by Nalini Singh (Psy/Changeling #11)
Release Date: May 29, 2012
Purchase:  Amazon  Barnes and Noble



 
Synopsis:  Adria, wolf changeling and resilient soldier, has made a break with the past.  For Riaz, the primal attraction he feels for Adria is a staggering betrayal.  For Adria, his dangerous lone-wolf appeal is beyond sexual.  It consumes her.  It terrifies her.  It threatens to undermine everything she has built of her new life. But fighting their wild compulsion toward one another proves a losing battle.
Their coming together is an inferno...and a melding of two wounded souls who promise each other no commitment, no ties, and no bonds.  Only pleasure.  Too late, they realize that they have more to lose than they ever imagined. Drawn into a cataclysmic Psy war that may alter the fate of the world itself, they must make a decision that might just break them both.

What can the 11th book in a series do differently to keep the readers interested and on-board?  Let me count the ways in this non-spoilery review.



  •         Catch the reader’s attention with sexytime by 3% into it.
      When I started this book, Riaz and Adria were not on my radar at all.  By 3%, I was panting and desperate for more…so were Riaz and Adria.
  •   Give a new twist on the same concept.

Riaz and Adria have a brand new cross to bear.  In Play of Passion, we learned that Riaz felt the mating bond with a woman that is happily married to someone else.  His wolf can’t let go of her, so he must fight the feeling of betrayal that is tearing him apart each time he feels attracted to Adria.  Adria has just come out of a broken long-term relationship.  She’s not looking for a new man, but can’t fight the feelings Riaz provokes in her.  It’s not uncommon for two wolves to share intimate skin privileges in an easy, uncommitted relationship, however, Riaz has other ideas.
“You’re not a woman I’ll ever want in my bed.”
Ouch, Riaz!  My heart hurts, and we are only 8% into the book at this point!  Riaz and Adria touched on all of my sensitive areas.  I am amazed at how quickly I got emotionally drawn into their story.  Their relationship is unconventional for changelings, but I was okay with that. 

Image:   http://animated-gifs.tumblr.com/ 
Me.  After Adria's chat with Lisette and Riaz.  Stock up on tissues for this couple.

  •       Multiple POV’s were at an all-time high:

     Riaz and Adria                                          Aden – Arrow, Telepath (Tp)
     Hawke and Sienna                                   Vasic – Arrow, Teleporter (Tk-V)
     Riley and Mercy                                       Vasquez - Arrow
     Judd                                                           Councilor Kaleb Krycheck
     The Ghost                                     
     Ming – PsyCouncilor, former leader of the Arrows
     Bo-Security Chief of the Human Alliance                                                   

Thank you, Nalini Singh, for giving me more Psy men POVs.  I love Psy men.  While Judd is man enough to handle all the Psy Love, having Aden, Vasic, Kaleb, and yes, even Henry and Vasquez, was an exciting addition to the series.  Judd was playful and made me laugh in this book!  *thud*  I look forward to developing storylines from them in upcoming books, and I’ll be crossing my fingers that each of them get their own HEA.  If Ms. Singh is feeling extra frisky, maybe an HEA with each other--I’m looking at you Aden and Vasic.
"I won't let you die, Vasic." Aden's voice was quiet.Vasic didn't answer, but they both knew Aden couldn't stop him. Once Vasic had paid his debts, once the Net was safe, all he wanted was peace.  Forever.
Image:   http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m7nbvkXtxN1qb01kc.gif 
Vasic, honey, it’s time to come out of the closet.  I don’t think you are Silent anymore. 

  •         Councilor Kaleb Krycheck

     This ultra-powerful Cardinal has stolen the show and my heart.  We get to see more into his mind than ever before.  We already know that he cares about the welfare of one (and only one) other person in the Net.  What are your thoughts on who she is?  Do we have a Cardinal Tk/Tp/mental combat expert/all-around Bad-Ass with mommy issues?    


  •       Give me some good bad guys.
      Did PsyCouncilor Henry survive Sienna's X-fire?  What about his right-hand henchman, Vasquez?  Is Kaleb a hero or a villain?  Who is the Psy-Rebel that calls himself the Ghost?  Is the Ghost a good guy, or is it merely that his current interests happen to benefit others too?  I'll be back in the Spring to talk about the Ghost in anticipation of the next Psy-Changeling book.
  
Oh, and in my humble opinion, Ming needs to die.  That is all.

Tangle of Need blew me away, and Ms. Singh left us with a cliffhanger!  To sum it up, this book has lit a fire into this series.  I will be first in line for Psy/Changeling #12.  Let us know what you think below about all these unknowns, the unconventional HEA, and what might happen next!  **Possible Spoilers in the Comments**    

Comments

  1. I loved your review, Amanda!
    I think I'll finish Archangel's Storm today and Psy/Changeling is my next stop! You made me wanna read them so badly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful review Amanda. You have made the books sounds really interesting and I promise I will get around to reading them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Angela! I look forward to your thoughts when you get to these.

      Delete
  3. I'm almost done with Slave to Sensation and I want to kill you because you hadn't push me harder to read these books earlier.
    I love Sascha and Lucas. This new world Nalini Singh has created (along with the one from Guild Hunter) is just fascinating!
    Great recommendation, Ms. Garret-Grady *snicker* But then again, when had any other been different until now?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

You Might Want to Read...

Black Dagger Brotherhood: Scenes That Left us Begging for More

A Tribute to The Fiery Cross

When The Music's Over

Dani Mega O'Malley: Superstar

Review: Annihilation (Book and Movie)