What the Wenches are Reading

Amanda: I haven't had much time to read, so I'm still re-reading Iced.

Anne: I had to put down Pride and Prejudice to get in my re-read of The Hobbit before the movie comes out this week. I also finished A Storm of Swords. That damn George R.R. Martin keeps breaking my heart. I'll be starting A Feast for Crows on my commute this week.

Angela: Still on Chasing Magic by Stacia Kane this week. There isn't much time for reading at present.

Barbara: Dragonfly in Amber, the second Outlander book by Diana Gabaldon. Wench Kathi and I have had identical taste in books, since we started reading together, so she has been badgering encouraging me to read these books for months. Knowing how long each book is, and that there are seven, I'd been putting them off, because I knew I would get sucked in and never find my way out again. But two weeks ago I succumbed to peer pressure, and exactly what I was afraid of has occurred. I have several holiday projects I should be working on, in addition to running this blog, keeping house (ha!) and paying attention to my husband and dog. But instead I am reading every possible moment I can. I can't put these books down, and I've already shed more than a few tears and done quite a bit of hand-wringing. And I'm only one-and-a-half books in. I am so screwed.

Beta: I finally finished Outlander and started on book 2, Dragonfly in Amber, and considering how hooked I am there seems to be no turning back. These books are making me forget that Christmas is around the corner... me who everyone, who knows me, knows I how much I love Christmas and everything regarding the preparation! But now people are lucky if they'll get Christmas cards or me decorating and only thinking about Xmas for a whole month, and that is saying A. LOT. ;)

I blame our Wenches Kathi and Merit for that. And I'm totally loving them for the recommendation and sucking me into the amazing Outlander world, no matter how much of an emotional rollercoaster ride I've been going through so far.... but don't tell them I said that.

Donna: I'm reading The Princess Bride by William Goldman. I'm not sure why I've never read it before now, since I love the movie so much. I expect to fall in love with the story all over again.

Katherine: I am in the middle of my Iced reread and taking it very slowly this time Funny the things you miss the first time around!

Kathi: I read Diana Gabaldon’s short story A Leaf on the Wind of All Hallows. Although it centers on what happened to Roger MacKenzie’s parents during World War II, you must be familiar with some occurrences at the end of An Echo in the Bone (the 7th Outlander book) to fully appreciate and understand the major twist at the end. It told a great little story about some side characters we hadn't met, and also provided a slightly different view of a character we're familiar with. And there is an absolutely shocking twist that induced poignant tears...and filled me with abject horror at what's in store for a couple of important characters in the next book!! Absolutely fabulous little addition to the Outlander world!! Between that and the Wenches who were quoting Jamie Fraser non-stop as they read Outlander books, it took great willpower to resist picking that series back up to continue my reread. But instead I started Justin Cronin’s The Twelve, because I really am quite excited to see where he’s taking that trilogy.

Merit: Same as Kathi, I read Diana Gabaldon’s short story A Leaf on the Wind of All Hallows, and she said it all. This short story opens our eyes to a mystery from the past but raises new questions to reflect upon.

Veronica: I just started Channeling Morpheus. I read Payback yesterday, and am getting ready to start on Vertigo. They're a series of novellettes about, well, I'm not really sure yet! All I know is Michael is out for vengeance because his friend, Scary Mary, was killed by vampires. And I am flying through my "chores" today so I can learn more about another intriguing character introduced in the first novellette. 

Zee: Got distracted by Harry Potter! So haven't picked up anything all week, mostly because I have barely been home. But also because all I want to do is revisit HP! Just reread Little Women for an upcoming post. I forgot how much I loved that book. (Thank you, Barb, for suggesting I check whether it was a free Kindle book!)

Comments

You Might Want to Read...

Black Dagger Brotherhood: Scenes That Left us Begging for More

A Tribute to The Fiery Cross

When The Music's Over

Dani Mega O'Malley: Superstar

Review: Annihilation (Book and Movie)