The One Where One Wench Made Another Wench Read a Book


Collage by Wench Olga
I had this brainstorm that wouldn't it be fun to make each Wench read a book that is not of her own choosing. (I'm not a dictator, I assure you. The Wenches agreed to my scheme. Hmm, does that mean they are now my minions?!?) Not just a book from our To Be Read (TBR) lists, but something another Wench recommended. So I put the Wenches' names in a hat and randomly pulled them out to match them up.

The idea was that we might just read something we weren't likely to ever read otherwise. Sometimes we find ourselves reading books of a similar genre exclusively, over and over again. I have definitely done so in my Regency romance and M/M phases. Not that there is anything wrong with that; however, I think it is always a good idea to expand our horizons. As you can imagine, the list of recommended books will be varied. The Wenches were originally united by a love of The Southern Vampire Mysteries by Charlaine Harris, but I can assure you our tastes in reading contrast dramatically. It is also a chance to find out what types of books have appealed to other Wenches and whether we would like them as well.



The Rules:

I made up some pretty simple rules:

  1. It must be a book the reader hasn't read. If you've seen any of our TBRs, you know this list is endless and impossible to ever finish in this lifetime.
  2. It must be a book the Recommender enjoyed and thinks the other Wench will as well.
  3. The Recommender must write a brief explanation of why she picked the book, and the other Wench must review the book after she has read it.
  4. There's no time limit, just sometime in 2013.

Expect to See the Following:

How could she do this to me?


Yeah, I finished that monster!


Why did you pick this book?


She liked this book????? What was she thinking???


This book was so amazing, I can't contain my excitement!!


There might even be some of:


But at the end of the day, we are hoping for lots of:


So look out over the coming months as we either trash or adore the recommended books. They range widely in subject and style: from The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan, to Immortals after Dark by Kresley Cole, to The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón. My fingers are crossed that I'll love whatever is picked for me. I hope it isn't a scary book, though, because I'm a wimp. Wench Donna, I hope you are reading what I'm saying here. Don't scare me. Pretty please!!


What reaction do you think we are likely to see? I'm hoping for lots of cheering and clapping, but you never know. I've picked Magician (The Riftwar Saga #1) by Raymond E. Feist for Wench Olga. I hope she loves it; otherwise, she might be quoting Jensen Ackles (above) in her review.

* Gifs from tumblr.com
** Title collage made by Olga Daniels


Comments

Post a Comment

You Might Want to Read...

Black Dagger Brotherhood: Scenes That Left us Begging for More

A Tribute to The Fiery Cross

When The Music's Over

Dani Mega O'Malley: Superstar

Review: Annihilation (Book and Movie)