Quote of the Day

I grabbed a loaf of Sophia Deveraux's homemade sourdough bread I'd swiped from the Pork Pit, several bananas, and the peanut butter and sourwood honey out of the cabinets, along with some canned pumpkin. First, I mixed the peanut butter and the pumpkin together, producing a rich, creamy spread, which I slathered onto the bread. I topped the mixture with sliced bananas and drizzled honey over the fruit. As a finishing touch, I sprinkled some cinnamon on top of the whole thing, then topped it with another slice of bread.

I tore off a paper towel and handed it and the sandwich to Finn, who sank his teeth into the thick bread with obvious enthusiasm. Donovan Caine didn't move from the couch. I stared at him, wondering who'd be the first to end this Mexican standoff.

Caine looked at Finn's disappearing sandwich. "That looks good. Would you fix me one of those? Please?"

"Sure."

I made him a sandwich, the one for me, and a couple more for whoever got to them first. Donovan moved over to the table and sat next to Finn, while I got a gallon of milk out of the fridge and plucked some mugs out of the cabinet. I set the mugs on the table, then wrapped my hand around one of them and reached for my magic. Ice crystals frosted the container, guaranteeing that whatever was poured inside would stay cold. I repeated the process on the other two glasses.

Donovan stilled, and his hazel eyes narrowed at the small display of magic. "You're an elemental. An Ice."

I shrugged. "I have a little bit of magic, detective.  That's all. Hardly worth mentioning."

Finn eyed me. He knew I had more than just a little magic, but for once he didn't contradict me.

I finished with the mugs and slid Caine's sandwich over to him. He picked it up but hesitated before biting down into it, as though just looking at the food I'd prepared was enough to make him keel over and start foaming at the mouth. He should have known by now that poison really wasn't my forte. A cheap, theatrical device, just like blackmail.

The detective chewed and swallowed. Surprise spread across his face. "This is really good."

"Better than the Cake Walk?" I asked.

He didn't look at me. "Not better, just different."

- Jennifer Estep, Spider's Bite

Comments

You Might Want to Read...

Black Dagger Brotherhood: Scenes That Left us Begging for More

A Tribute to The Fiery Cross

When The Music's Over

Dani Mega O'Malley: Superstar

Review: Annihilation (Book and Movie)