Chicago Fire

Review: Biting Bad by Chloe Neill

Collage by the amazing Olga Daniels!
For the second release in a row, I got my hands on an advanced review copy of the next Chicagoland Vampires book, long before it hit shelves and e-readers. This time it was a full four weeks before release day, and while that sounds like a wonderful boon, it did have one drawback: I couldn't talk to anyone about it! I certainly couldn't talk to my usual CLV compatriot, Zee, since when I even suggested giving her a quote, she refused. I could picture sticking her fingers in her ears saying, "I can't hear you!"


So release day is finally upon us, and I have to wait only one more day to discuss book number eight in Merit's adventures. Did I love it? Did I hate it? Will I be continuing Merit's journey with her, or have I given up on our favorite newbie vamp? Click through the jump for uncharacteristically non-spoilery discussion of tomorrow's hotly anticipated release!




Okay, it's going to be really hard to tell you how much I loved this book, without telling you the specific things I loved about the book. But I've accepted the challenge. I have already given it away, though, haven't I? I.loved.this.book! It had everything a Chicagoland Vampires book should have: adventure, snarkiness, sweetness, a kick-ass heroine doing what she can to save her city, a bad-ass hero whose brush with death has made him so much more awesome, and a cast of supporting characters who are all fantastic in their own rights.

The main problem Merit was dealing with in the story, the one that affected the whole city, kept me guessing until the end. I didn't see the connection to the bad guy, but it came together perfectly. There was a second problem, focused on Chicago's vampires, with Cadogan House in the middle again, which showed me so many of the ways that Cadogan's master has grown since his return. It's no secret that I love how much Ethan has grown in regard to his relationship with Merit, but I am equally excited about his growth as a Master, as a leader of vampires, and that is beautifully demonstrated in the resolution (sort of!) of the vampire problem.

Ethan is in fine form in BB.
Seriously though, Ethan's bad-assery is unparalleled in this book. I gasped out loud more than once, both at his decisive actions and the kick-ass way he protected his House. I've long said that we have yet to see the extent of Ethan's power, and I feel justified in that position after this book.

Biting Bad moved forward some storylines that have been developing over the last few books, and we met characters we had only heard about. I really enjoyed that, and I loved that there was definite set-up for more Chicagoland shenanigans. There's clearly a lot more in store for Merit and the gang.

Happy dance!
As with House Rules, Biting Bad offered me things that I never knew I always wanted from a Chicagoland Vampires book. I hope it doesn't spoil anyone to say that Merit in a sexy car was a joy I didn't realize I wanted. I did, however, want new Cadogan medals ever since the Cadogan House vampires gave theirs back to the GP, and I did a little happy dance (yes, I actually got up and danced!) when Ethan mentioned new medals! I also want an actual Cadogan medal. How can we make that happen?



But my favorite part of Biting Bad is something I knew unequivocally that I wanted. Merit and Ethan together. Truly together. And we got it. In Biting Bad, Methan are working together, living together, building a life together. There are no distances, no misunderstandings, no hurt feelings. Just two people who are perfect for one another, loving and living and making the best of what they have. It is an amazingly beautiful thing, a thing we have waited seven books for, endured a number of heartaches and a couple of tragedies for. Every reader has her own thing that flips her pages. Some love the chase, some love triangles. I love love. Two people overcoming their obstacles and choosing to be together, working hard to make their relationship work. Merit and Ethan have done that, and are still a joy to read about. 

If Methan isn't proof of that, we don't know what is.

Bravo, Ms. Neill. You have killed it, once again, with Biting Bad. I absolutely loved this book and cannot wait for February, Wild Things, and the continuation of Merit's story.


So, Saucy Reader, are you looking forward to tomorrow's release of Biting Bad? Are you going to be "sick" tomorrow so that you can devour the book in one go? Tell us your release day plans, below!

Comments

  1. Barb, YES!! Looking forward and after reading your brilliant non spoiler review, I can't wait!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait. I just know that I'll have it finished quickly and then be starving for the next one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even though it's vague the review is great Barbara. I've read the book (in a heartbeat, as usual) and LOVED it!!
    So far, Ms Neill hasn't dissapointed and I hope she doesn't. It's really nice to read about a couple being a couple, is seems a rarity in this genre (that's why I love Mercy and Kate Daniels). I love that the mistery is more important here, them trying to coexist with humans and be accepted.
    I must say, my dislike of Merit's dad is growing with each book and can't wait to see what Ms Neill has in plan for him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Delivers enough action, plot twists, and fights to satisfy the most jaded urban fantasy reader.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

You Might Want to Read...

Black Dagger Brotherhood: Scenes That Left us Begging for More

A Tribute to The Fiery Cross

When The Music's Over

Dani Mega O'Malley: Superstar

Review: Annihilation (Book and Movie)