What the Wenches Are Reading

Source
Smack in between the two holiday weeks in the Western World, some Wenches are squeezing in reading time, and some are too busy enjoying family, or maybe food comas. A few old favorites, including a literary indulgence or two, some new finds, and preparation for the final installment in a Wench favorite are occupying us this week.

Click through to see what's captured our attention, and share what you are reading in the comments below. It's almost 2014 and we need to iron out our TBRs, so give us some suggestions!


Amanda:  This past week, I finished up Lover at Last. It's only been nine months coming.  I really enjoyed it, so much that I will need to talk about it soon, so stay tuned.  I also started book #3 in ASOIAF series, A Storm of Swords, by George R. R. Martin.  One word to describe this book? Brilliant.  
 
Angela: I have read The Blade Itself by Joe Abercrombie this week and enjoying it. I haven't had too much time for reading, but it has the right balance of fantasy, gory detail and magic I enjoy. The male POVs are a refreshing change for me. The only downer for me in the story is that I don't like it when a male character giggles. The author used that word quite a bit and it didn't quite gel for me with the action that was taking place. I think I would prefer a "grinned devilishly" or "grinned evilly" over a giggle. Christmas was very kind to me with The Hollows Insider by Kim Harrison and The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion being gratefully received. Can't wait to start them.

Barb After finishing Wild Things last week, it was time for many hours in the car followed by a whirlwind tour of "home", visiting families and celebrating Christmas together. It's kind of a good thing that I was so busy with holiday preparation and celebration that I didn't have time to read, because I really needed the time to let Wild Things sink in. Once again, I can.not.WAIT for someone else to read this book so that I can talk about it. There is so much to talk about! Needless to say, if you haven't pre-ordered yet, do it! Thankfully Jeff and Howling for You (which releases in one week!) can distract me until I can talk to someone. In the meantime, I finally finished At Grave's End, from my Night Huntress reread, during my drive home, and moved right on to Destined for An Early Grave. Less than a month until the final Night Huntress book, and I'm getting sad already.
 
Care: Okay, so I still need to read the book Beta recommended to me.  I know, I know!  I'm terribly behind, though I'm certain I can get that read and a coherent 'thoughts' post put together in no time.  Why?  Because since last week, when I left off with Happily Never After...  I've since gone through At Grave's End, Devil To Pay, Destined For An Early Grave, and Magic Graves, leaving me coming up on the end of This Side Of The Grave... as well as having made some fairly significant progress on Gluten-Free Girl & the Chef: A Love Story with 100 tempting recipes.  I'm calling this a heckuva productive week for reading!
 
Donna: Well, I didn't get any books for Christmas, so I'll have to treat myself. I've been good (enough) that I'm planning to buy the ebook of Dangerous Women this evening. I'm jealous that Kathi and some others have already had a chance to read it, so I'm really looking forward to getting my hands on it!

Kathi: I finally finished Dangerous Women and enjoyed it very much. On Christmas Day, I indulged in a reread of Diana Gabaldon’s “Virgins” story, which was the first story I’d read in the anthology, as a treat to myself.
 
Merit: I am reading a book called The Opportunist by by Tarryn Fisher. I’ve been browsing through a couple of books this week, one disappointment after another--you know this kind of book that promises a lot but fails to deliver? And then came The Opportunist, grabbing me from page one. This is the story of Olivia and her crazy (?) love for her amnesian ex-boyfriend. I admit I love stories with forceful emotions, and there is turmoil of sensations here. It is devastating, there is love and hate, betrayal, a lot of lies with consequences, a love triangle, manipulations and borderline craziness, along with an artfully written story. This is a first book in a trilogy.
 
Natalie Hello Wenches and our faithful followers!  I am just stopping in to say that I don't have much planned for reading this week.  I am finishing up things with work for the year and so things are rather busy.  I just want to wish everyone a Happy New Year!  I hope everyone had a great 2013 and here is to an even better 2014! 

Comments

You Might Want to Read...

Black Dagger Brotherhood: Scenes That Left us Begging for More

A Tribute to The Fiery Cross

When The Music's Over

Dani Mega O'Malley: Superstar

Review: Annihilation (Book and Movie)