What the Wenches Are Reading





Click through to see what we're reading this week! 




Amanda: I really am embarrassed to admit that I still have not finished Feverborn. It's definitely awesome so far!! I have just been preoccupied with Real Life.


Angela: This week I've only managed a few more chapters of The Broken Eye by Brent Weeks. School has started back for the kids after the summer break. Plus my husband and I have started watching the new series DC Legends of Tomorrow, and new seasons of Agent Carter and Arrow. Yes, I know there is a theme going on here ;). Alas it's leaving very little time for any reading to occur.

Anne:  I am lucky enough to be reading the soon to be released Fire Touched by Patricia Briggs. It's a good one, Mercy fans! Get your preorders in now! I'm also tantalizingly close to finishing The Fiery Cross. Hopefully I'll finish it on my commutes this week, might be next week though. I'm not sure what my next audio book will be. I have a few things in mind. We'll see which one I decide on.

Barb: I am still savoring Some Girls Bite. I love getting reaquainted with the characters I've loved for ages now, seeing Merit as a baby vamp and Ethan before I realized just how swoony and badass he was. Jeff and Chuck were delights from the very beginning, just as Catcher was a complete tool from the very beginning. I adore this series beyond words and cannot wait for you all to read Midnight Marked. You preordered, right? I have also been looking for some filthy smut for Valentine's Day, so if you have any dirty dirty suggestions, please, pass them along. 

Donna: This week went by extra fast - and I did zero reading.

Kathi: I needed a completely different genre, since no other fantasy could compete while I’m basking in the afterglow of Feverborn, and I picked up Elizabeth Strout’s My Name is Lucy Barton completely on impulse. It’s a short fictional account of a writer looking back on her life, and in particular an extended hospital stay when her estranged mother came to sit with her. This was purely a “resonates with real life” kind of book for me, exploring the complexities of family relationships and memories. Very well written, but no action at all—completely character driven and introspective. (If you’ve read Strout’s Olive Kitteridge, or seen the HBO miniseries, you have an idea of her style.) Then I read a book I’d been looking forward to, Station Eleven. It’s set during and after 99% of the world population is killed within days by a deadly flu. I considered DNFing this book several times. Even halfway through the book, I just did not have enough of an emotional connection to any of the many characters to enjoy jumping around in time trying to puzzle out the story. But then it clicked and I enjoyed the second half!

Merit: This week I’m reading Winter by Marissa Meyer. This is the final book in another YA/fantasy/ Sci-Fi series I like, The Lunar Chronicles. It's a retelling of four classic fairy tales in a dystopian future world with four strong female protagonists who try to save their world. Cinder (Cinderella), Scarlet (Little Red Riding Hood),Cress (Rapunzel) and now Winter (Snow White). Suspense, action romance and good writing. A refreshing and entertaining light read with dazzling book covers.

Zee:  This week I read Midnight Marked which I fucking LOVED. AAAAGH!!! IT WAS PERFECT!!! Barb was right to tell me to get on it asap. It just made me so happy.

Comments

You Might Want to Read...

Black Dagger Brotherhood: Scenes That Left us Begging for More

A Tribute to The Fiery Cross

When The Music's Over

Dani Mega O'Malley: Superstar

Review: Annihilation (Book and Movie)