What the Wenches Are Reading




It's quite a mix of titles this week, from rereads of Chicagoland Vampires and Outlander, to contemporary spy tales to swashbuckling knight tales to regency romance to mafia intrigue. Click through to see what's tickled our fancy this week! 



 
Angela: This week was a swashbuckling adventure. I read Knight's Shadow (Greatcoats #2) by Sebastien de Castell and really enjoyed it. Our main character Falvio val Mond struggles with being poisoned, but the interactions with Brasti and Kest remain humourous and kept me entertained. The females characters are just as kick ass as the men and it's a delight to have female characters on equal footing with the males. I also read Guilty Pleasures (Anita Blake #1) as a Challenge Read, which was to read a book recommended by a friend. Pia has been asking me to read the book for a while and I'm so glad I did. I enjoyed it and I'm prepared to give the next book a go! Anita was as kick ass as Pia promised and I was entertained. 

Anne:  I am almost done with Twice Bitten. Wish my luck with my upcoming emotional trauma with Hard Bitten. I've assist started A Breath of Snow and Ashes, aka Outlander #6. I am loving this book so far.

Barb: I finally finished Friday Night Bites and moved right on to Twice Bitten, which is still my very favorite Chicagoland Vampires book. So much happens in this one: love, betrayal, hurt, self-preservation, and the wrong decisions for all the right reasons, plus some of the best lines of the entire series. It is so good. I also devoured Monster in His Eyes by J.M. Darhower and am dying to move on to the next book. I am such a sucker for a good mafia tale, even when the central relationship breaks all of my rules. Do you have a favorite mafia book, Saucy Reader? Suggestions always welcome! 

Donna: I'm continuing on my 2016 reading challenge this week by beginning Lady of Hay by Barbara Erskine. I picked up the 25th Anniversary Edition because of my sister's vocal and enthusiastic recommendation. This novel falls in the category of "A Book That Intimidates Me" because it is a frickin' huge book! I think the hardcover would have given readers severe carpel tunnel syndrome! Anyway, my sis loves it, so I'm sure I will as well. Wish me luck!

Kathi: I’m halfway through my reread of Outlander. *blissfully contented sigh*

Merit: Oh my god! I’m reading a spy/terrorist thriller, I am Pilgrim by Terry Hayes, and I can’t put it down. The hero is a former intelligence agent, he gets pulled back for one last job (don’t they always get pulled in for one more job?) On the other side of the globe, in Saudi Arabia, a boy sees his father beheaded, an act that will shape his life. Our agent’s job is to find the terrorist, known as “The Saracen” and stop him from destroying the U.S. This is a huge book (625 pages of nonstop suspense.) but so far only very few boring parts. There are many side stories which add flavors to the intriguing plot. On the reality side, it tells a story that may yet happen, about extremists’ beliefs, biological terrorism and more. Terry Hayes, the author, is a film screen writer, known for Mad Max 2&3. MGM has bought movie rights to this thriller.
  
Zee:  I had a long flight home this past week, and the one thing that made it bearable was reading Tessa Dare's Spindle Cove series. I had already read and loved the first book, A Night To Surrender, which I enjoyed a lot. But wow. Both the novella and the second installment had me falling in love with the series. And by the time I got to Griff and Pauline in Any Duchess Will Do, I was a goner. Is there anyone sexier than Griff?? Sigh. I NEED more. I immediately started One Dance With A Duke, and yep, while Griff might be my favorite Tessa Dare man, Spencer is really making his way up the list of irresistible men. 

Comments

  1. Merit, I might have to pick up I am Pilgrim - it sounds fascinating. Let me know what you think after you finish.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

You Might Want to Read...

Black Dagger Brotherhood: Scenes That Left us Begging for More

A Tribute to The Fiery Cross

When The Music's Over

Dani Mega O'Malley: Superstar

Review: Annihilation (Book and Movie)