What the Wenches Are Reading




Click through to see where we're going this week! 



Amanda:   I’m nearly done with Outlander by Diana Gabaldon. Right now, I’m on the fence about reading Outlander #2, Dragonfly in Amber, or reading something else. I’ve heard there is some difficult subject matter in the beginning of DiA, so my curiosity might make the decision for me. (And if Angela struggled with it, I *must* know what it is! LOL!) Otherwise, I like the Outlander series a lot, but not as much as some of my fellow wenches do.  I did download Angelfall by Susan Ee since I’ve heard such good things about it.  

Angela: I went on a Mariana Zapata reading binge this week. Polished off The Wall of Winnipeg and Me, Lingus and Under Locke. Favourite out of the three was definitely The Wall of Winnipeg and Me, though last week’s Kulti is probably my favourite Zapata book. I recommend you read Kulti and The Wall of Winnipeg and Me. Great sports romances. I wasn’t as fond of Lingus and Under Locke which were the first two books Zapata published. I think it’s quite amazing to read how an author has improved over time. Be prepared for the slow build up of relationships. And I do mean slow! 

Anne:   This week I’ve been making my way through Friday Night Bites, again. I just can’t get enough of these early books. I’ve also been listening to Iced on my commute. I have decided I really dislike Natalie Ross’ Dani voice. Also, Dani is so, so naive for someone who has seen so much. I’m hoping to finish up Iced this week so I’m ready for the release of the final book in the 5th Wave series, The Last Star. It comes out next week and I can’t wait!

Barb: I was knee deep in Biting Cold when my beautiful ARC of The Sight showed up on my doorstep. Thank you, Kayleigh at Penguin! So I'm along for the covertly magical ride with Claire and Liam in NOLA. It's pretty great, you guys. I love this world, for all of its post-war brokenness--it's riveting. 

Donna:  I took advantage of a cold, rainy, lazy Sunday morning and finished reading Cynthia D’Aprix Sweeney’s The Nest. It’s the story of a dysfunctional family whose dreams of a financial windfall is in danger of slipping away after a tragic accident. 

Kathi: I finally cleared a large enough chunk of time in my reading year to pick up A Discovery of Witches. I’ve heard mixed reviews on this one, but Merit recommended it for me, and so far her instincts about what I’d like are always perfect (Outlander, for example). It has been kind of a slow buildup, but I’m becoming quite intrigued by this Matthew character and the fascinating world of witches, vampires, and daemons. 

Merit:  Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, isn’t it? I’ve read Radiance (Wraith King #1) by Grace Draven. Brishen and Ildiko are both of royal blood but far down the throne line. She is human, he is not. She is a day person with pink skin and red hair. He is a night creature with gray skin, black claws and his glowing eyes have no pupil or iris. Both think the other is ugly as sin. A marriage is arranged between them for political reasons. I like the way they see each other at the beginning and how their perceptions changed slowly. I enjoyed the author humorous way of showing us Brishen and Ildiko's treatment of their physical and cultural differences. This is a lighthearted fantasy romance, one I enjoyed reading. 

 Zee: I didn't get a chance to pick up something after Before I Go to Sleep. But then we got The Sight ARCs and I literally just started it. I wanted to wait and read it when I could just dedicate hours to it. But I couldn't resist. It is GOOD to be back in NOLA, even if it's not physically. CN is the best, and I can't get enough of Claire and Liam. (I love Malachi too.. sucker for angel fantasy, so I'm hoping there's more of him in this one than in the first book!)

Comments

You Might Want to Read...

Black Dagger Brotherhood: Scenes That Left us Begging for More

A Tribute to The Fiery Cross

When The Music's Over

Dani Mega O'Malley: Superstar

Review: Annihilation (Book and Movie)