What the Wenches Are Reading

 

Click through to see what we're reading this week!




Angela: This week I read the first Dresden Files book Storm Front. One of those books I’ve been meaning to read for ages. How refreshing to read a urban fantasy book from a male POV. I’ve become a bit jaded with urban fantasy female POV. After a while it feels a bit same old, same old. I loved Storm Front. How often is a hero forced to fight naked I ask you?  Can’t wait to read the next book in the series Fool Moon

Anne:  I didn’t get nearly enough reading done as I would have liked. I worked a lot, and I started physical therapy too, so that’s taking up a fair bit of time. But, I did make some progress on Friday Night Bites. And, I’m just about done with Burned. I’ll be starting Feverborn soon. Ms. Moning has so much to wrap up in Feversong. I have no idea how she’s going to do it!! 

Barb: I finished rereading Ugly Love, and thoroughly enjoyed visiting this tale again. I had forgotten what a raging asshole Miles could be in his quest to protect himself at all costs. But the pain is completely worth the ending. I did get the ARC of Keri Lake's Backfire that I had been waiting for. I'm at 75% and had to force myself to put it down so I could sleep last night. I anticipate finishing tonight. Release of this book is next Thursday, June 9 (happy birthday to me!) and we'll have a complete review on June 13. I will say this: if you enjoyed Ricochet, you'll enjoy Backfire. They both stand alone but have the same dark, brutal, gritty, sexy feel and the same general setting. Can't wait to see how it all turns out! 

Donna:  Anyone else love a good mystery novel? This week I started The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins - and got so wrapped up in it I finished it off the same day! I usually avoid books with too much hype, but it this case, I’m glad to have made an exception. The characters were well developed, the plot was plausible and everything just worked! I don’t spend too much time trying to figure out whodunnit, because I think all the fun is considering ALL of them did it. The movie of the same name is coming out this fall, and stars the luminous Emily Blunt as the deeply flawed Rachel. 

Kathi: This week I finished A Discovery of Witches. Though it took a very long to time to get around to the main story, I ended up liking it very much and to plan to continue the series, to find out what happens next. However, I decided to take a break first to reread The Space Between, now that the Paris storyline is over in season 2 of the Outlander TV series. This novella is set between Outlander books 7 and 8 chronologically, but it revisits several of the characters we met and left behind in Paris in book 2, Dragonfly in Amber. The very first page refers to the aftermath of the Star Chamber showdown between Master Raymond, the Comte St Germain, and King Louis XV. Since watching that is fresh on my mind, it’s the perfect time to remind myself what happened to some of the characters and what secrets they were hiding. (The first time I read it, I could barely remember who some of the characters were!)   

Merit: This week I read Cure for the Common Breakup (Black Dog Bay #1) by Beth Kendrick. The truth is that the book title and the cover captured my attention and made me read it. I’m not sorry. In fact, I had a lot of  fun reading it. Summer Benson went through a breakup and ended up in Black Dog Bay, Delaware, THE town for the recently heartbroken. With places like the Whinery bar, Eat Your Heart Out bakery, and Retail Therapy shop, you can’t go wrong. This chick-lit romance is a lovely summer read.  

Zee: I've been trying to make myself start Anne Bishop's Marked In Flesh but it just isn't happening. I've had a weird week where every book I've picked up hasn't kept me interested for even a few pages.

Comments

You Might Want to Read...

Black Dagger Brotherhood: Scenes That Left us Begging for More

A Tribute to The Fiery Cross

When The Music's Over

Dani Mega O'Malley: Superstar

Review: Annihilation (Book and Movie)