What the Wenches Are Reading




Click through to see what we're reading this week! 


Angela: This week I read The Turner House by Angela Flournoy. Set in Detroit in 2008, it made compelling reading about the Turner family. Thirteen siblings in all and coming to terms with what to do with their parents' old family home. Set against the background of the city of Detroit, which has been in decline for several years. Great read. 

Anne: This week, I'm continuing with An Echo In The Bone. I'm enjoying it. I also started a book I had to special order from the UK called The Truth About Julia. I saw it in a list of recommended summer reading one of the other Wenches posted. It's very interesting so far. It's a real paper book. I haven't read one of those in a long time. When I can't bring that with me, I'm continuing Twice Bitten on my phone.

Barb: I finished Alisha Rai's Bedroom Games serial, which was SO.GOOD. You guys! It was so good. I've come to expect diversity, hotness, feminism, and great characters from Alisha Rai, but I did not expect the development of a the main relationship to be so real, raw, and relateable. These were not my favorite characters I've read from this author, but their relationship was one of the best I've read. Actually recognizing one's weaknesses and making a concerted effort to work through them together--glorious. I also read Ms. Rai's Hot as Hades, a lighter, fluffier, slightly-less-smutty Rai book. Then I reread Serving Pleasure, which was every bit as spectacular as the first time I read it. Now I'm back into Biting Cold which I abandoned a while ago for some hot new thing (I don't even remember which one) and I hope I never tire of how happy the Chicagoland Vampires books make me. 

Care: Well, we're home again! This week saw us flying through books at a ridiculous speed - our read alouds covered both the beginning and middle of Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, and my own reading... Well, I made it to Divide & Conquer, then blazed through Armed & Dangerous, and am wrapping up Stars & Stripes tonight before moving on to Touch & Geaux. I've had another narration change, but all in all I'm pretty happy with it, the changes seem to be steps up each time, so it's all good. 

Kathi: This week I finished Obsession and started Malice, both by Lisa Clark O’Neill. I’ve already read 2/3 of Malice in one day! I’m finding it hard to put these books down, but trying to force myself because (1) there’s only one more book in this series so far and (2) there are people and pets and plantlife around my house that get perturbed at me when I ignore them for too long. I also watched The Night Manager this week (BBC-AMC collaboration) and absolutely loved it! Highly recommend! 

Comments

You Might Want to Read...

Black Dagger Brotherhood: Scenes That Left us Begging for More

A Tribute to The Fiery Cross

When The Music's Over

Dani Mega O'Malley: Superstar

Review: Annihilation (Book and Movie)