What the Wenches Are Reading




Click through to see what we're reading this week! 





Angela:  This week I’ve been reading the magnificent Midnight Tides (The Malazan Book of the Fallen #5) by Steven Erikson, and it’s simply amazing!!!! Read this series if you haven’t already started. You won’t be disappointed. It takes you through an emotional roller coaster, and Erikson makes you care about the fates of a new bunch a characters, with barely a familiar face in sight.

Anne: I am on to book #5 of the Cut & Run series, Armed & Dangerous. I love these boys. I’m also still working my way through Stephen King’s It. Stephen Weber, who’s narrating, is doing a great job!

Barb: I'm still making slow progress with What Happened and Glamour. I also finished Menace and Grievous, the Scarlet Scars duo, which was fabulous. Look for a full review soon. Now I'm looking for the next read that's going to grab me by the throat. Any suggestions, Saucy Readers? 

Donna: I can’t remember the last time I had uninterrupted hours to read - and this week was no exception. When the reading material is George RR Martin’s A Feast for Crows, that’s somehow okay. I picked up the book several times over the past week to read a chapter or two, and was able to get right back into the story. Of course, reading one or two chapters at a time of such a massive tome means I might still be reading it at Christmas time. - lol

Kathi: This week I’m reading the second book in the Southern Reach trilogy, Authority. This world, unlike any I’ve previously encountered, is still ethereally beautiful, deeply disturbing, and a complete enigma. I still have no idea where this is going and what to expect, and the suspense is getting to me. I keep reading every chance I get and rewatching the teaser trailer, looking forward to the movie.  

Merit: I’m reading a fascinating, though challenging, science fantasy book, The Fifth Season (Broken Earth #1) by N.K. Jemisin. It’s the story of three women in an extraordinary world that suffers a catastrophic climate change every few centuries. The diversity of the characters, the cruelty and oppression of people, the strange magic, the unforgiving environment, all of these create an intricate dark story. Reading was a struggle for the first 3 or 4 chapters; the writing style is just different; for example, one of the main character’s POV is done in present tense. But after that, I was in, fully committed. What a smart story. 

Shau: I’ve been a busy Wench these days and haven’t even finished Archangel’s Viper by Nalini Singh yet. The story itself is interesting and fun, but you know, I have to sleep sometimes. SLEEP - bookworm’s biggest enemy. 

Zee: Finished The Strain. Sigh. I love that series. Still slowly making my way through IT. Stephen King can still make me feel like a scared little kid.

Comments

  1. Merit, I just added your book to my TBR list a couple of weeks ago! I read a great article about it and the author. I think it won the Hugo Award last year. Since you're liking it so much, I'll have to move it up my list!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

You Might Want to Read...

Black Dagger Brotherhood: Scenes That Left us Begging for More

A Tribute to The Fiery Cross

When The Music's Over

Dani Mega O'Malley: Superstar

Review: Annihilation (Book and Movie)